Thursday, May 28, 2009

House is nearly cleared out

The removalists arrived yesterday morning at 9am ... and carried out all the big pieces of furniture to the garage. It only took them 20 minutes, but something I couldn't do by myself! They were even nice and didn't charge me the minimum 4 hours I was told I would have to pay, they just charged me for the time they travelled and carried.

Note to self: move furniture more often ... what was behind it was sooooo revolting!! Under the fridge was seriously disgusting ... mice had obviously lived there quite a bit (safe from the cats)!!!! The rest was just icky dust. And it became more obvious why the house is cold ... I can see outside from between the floors and the walls ... brrr!! Will be so nice once it is fixed up and less airy.

On Tuesday I went down to the Grays Home Renovator Auctions ... didn't really buy anything, but found it fascinating. I've really wanted a fancy new fridge to go in the fancy new kitchen ... but could't justify one as the ones I want are expensive (ice maker maybe?!) and my current fridge works perfectly fine. Down there .. a massive Maytag fridge went for $900 .. new price would be around $5,000! So maybe a new fridge could be closer than I thought.

I managed to nearly complete all I'd planned for packing up by dark ... the builder had come through earlier in the day and said I didn't need to be out of the kitchen until after the weekend ... so I'll leave that pleasant task until then. Though the fridge is now living in the study (my new little kitchen/living/dining/ everything combined). Bit weird to get my breakfast by cereal in the kitchen then milk from the study.

I really wanted the place nice and quiet by the time I brought the cats back from the stables ... it is traumatic enough for them without me bustling around and acting stressed. By dark the floors were semicleaned, mess was moved away (I have a car load to go to the tip - it wasn't open yesterday). Little cats came into the house ... wandered around crying ... their favourite spots in the window gone, furniture in the wrong rooms ... nothing the way it was. Amazing how well they settle once you put them in front of a heater though!!

Today is the day I want to finalise the order for the ensuite fittings ... will probably order the showerhead from somewhere else as they couldn't match the price I'd found.

Builder was also having a whinge about the delay caused by the architect ... they are waiting on the septic permit which should have been done weeks ago. He also desperately needs that ensuite window. I finally got hold of the architect in the afternoon ... took three attempts to get the window in the right place (I'm not great with my left and right ... but I'm not the one making the mistakes!). I still haven't seen the finalised plan ... there was one more move involved! The vanity is bigger than I thought ... but I think I'll be grateful for the storage space.
The laundry hasn't come off yet ... Monday is now the new smash and crash day. I hope they set up my washing machine before then ... but it looks like I should play washer-woman on the weekend and wash anything I can find, in case there is a delay until they fit it in the other shed.

House is very echoey and odd with no furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment